Sunday, July 1, 2007

Pink Stuff: one of the basic food groups

People often ask me if the things I write about really happen. The sad truth is I don’t write fiction: this is my life. Of course, everything doesn’t happen at once. Well, actually the kids are all on antibiotics right now, but not the same ones.

They all used to take the same medicine for their ear infections. In the interests of efficiency, each child got a new infection 10 days after finishing up their last prescription of Pink Stuff. (Feeding your children pink stuff, an antibiotic made from powdered platinum, is only slightly more expensive than mounting your own space program.)

My own kids, who think antibiotics are one of the basic food groups, have consumed enough pink stuff to send the children of several Pharmaceuticals-R_Us executives through Ivy League colleges.

But I’m not complaining. I like diseases that can be cured by pink stuff. In fact, strep throat is my favorite disease – 24 hours of pink stuff, the B-52 of antibiotics, and the kids are back in school getting more germs from their friends.

A few years ago, my husband had to make a business trip to another continent, but I wasn’t worried about handling things without him. Our house was on the market, the dog had developed a mysterious compulsion to perform unnatural acts with the cow manure in the pasture behind our house and all three kids were on pink stuff – in other words, things were pretty normal.

There is a clause in my wifehood contract which states that in such circumstances, I (the wife of the first part) shall be permitted to complain to him (the husband of the last possible part) that mothers never have conventions involving beaches on foreign coasts. Such complaints are not to exceed the number of times I draw breath, up to and including the moment said husband boards his plane.
I have added a rider which states that said husband must also say to me at least once, “I wish you could go instead, and I could stay here with the kids.” If he chokes on the words, it doesn’t count.
My husband managed to look sad as he said how much he would miss us, and in a remarkable demonstration of iron-willed self-control, avoided running up the ramp to his plane.

By the next morning, my 2-year-old son had developed an all-body rash. Exhaustive allergy testing had earlier revealed that he was not allergic to anything except air, food, plants, animals, and siblings, so our pediatrician was baffled. In hours, the 2-year-old’s joints were swollen to the size of softballs, and the rash had colonized his entire skin surface. His sisters were very impressed.
The pediatrician referred us to the allergist, who asked if I could bring him immediately. Since this only meant loading three sick kids into a non-air-conditioned car for a 1 ½ hour drive on mountain roads in 95-degree weather, I replied that I’d be right in. About halfway there, I noticed two things. The first was my son gasping for breath, and the second was the smoke coming from under the hood of my ancient station wagon.


I did what anybody with my extensive knowledge of car maintenance and repair would have done – ignored the smoke and drove on.

By the time I made it into the city, I had the freeway to myself. A few drivers assumed that I just hadn’t noticed the smoke pouring from my engine. Bravely, they pulled up alongside, honking and pointing frantically at the hood. Nodding and smiling like the Queen of Valium, I waved them on – nothing to worry about, it always does this…

My son only had to spend one day in the hospital, which none of us minded because it was air-conditioned. Unfortunately, the car also survived and was repaired by the time he was ready to go home.

But the real tragedy was that the cause of all his trouble was pink stuff. Now when he gets an ear-infection, we have to use scud-antibiotics instead of sending in the carpet-bombing pink stuff.

The rest of my husband’s absence passed fairly smoothly. (No, we don’t need to go into how I gave myself a concussion when I decided to repaint the kitchen cabinets. It could have happened to anyone…) When he came home, my husband said that he’d had problems on his trip too. The castle, (on the beach, in Spain – I’m not making this up) where the conference was held had very short showers, and also sometimes it was hard to convince the castle staff to give them seconds on their coffee. I’m so proud of him for sticking it out.


No comments: